17PCBPP21 – PATHOPHYSIOLOGY AND PHARMACOTHERAPEUTICS – III
Upon completion of the course, the student will be able to
- Understand the anatomy and physiology of the respective system
- Understand the disease process
- Know the signs and symptoms of the disease.
- Appreciate the various therapeutic regimens with their advantages and disadvantages
Detailed syllabus and Lecture wise schedules
1) Infectious diseases: 25 hrs
- Guidelines for the rational use of antibiotics and surgical Prophylaxis.
- Pathophysiology and Pharmacotherapeutics of Tuberculosis, Meningitis, Respiratory tract infections, Gastroenteritis, Endocarditis, Septicemia, Urinary tract infections, Protozoal infection- Malaria, HIV & Opportunistic infections, Fungal infections, Viral infections, Gonarrhoea and Syphillis
2) Musculoskeletal disorders 08 Hrs
- Basics of Anatomy and physiology of musculoskeletal system.
- Pathophysiology and Pharmacotherapeutics of Rheumatoid arthritis, Osteoarthritis, Gout, Spondylitis, Systemic Lupus Erythematosus
3) Renal system 07 Hrs
- Basics of anatomy and physiology of Renal system
- Pathophysiology and pharmacotherapeutics of Acute Renal Failure, Chronic Renal Failure, Renal Dialysis, Drug induced renal disorders
At the end of the course, the student will be able to
CO 1 : Chart the rational use of antibiotics and surgical prophylaxis
CO2 : Explain the pathophysiology and pharmacotherapeutics of infectious disease
CO3: Discuss the basics of anatomy and physiology of musculo skeletal system
CO4: Explain the pathophysiology and pharmacotherapeutics of certain muslo skeletal disorders
CO5: Explain the basics of anatomy and physiology of renal system and elaborate the
pharmacotherapeutics of renal disorders.
- Clinical Pharmacy and Therapeutics – Roger and Walker, Churchill Livingstone publication.
- Pharmacotherapy: A Pathophysiologic approach – Joseph T. Dipiro et al. Appleton & Lange.
- Pathologic basis of disease – Robins SL, W.B.Saunderspublication.
- Pathology and therapeutics for Pharmacists: A Basis for Clinical Pharmacy Practice – Green and Harris, Chapman and Hallpublication.
- Clinical Pharmacy and Therapeutics – Eric T. Herfindal, Williams and Wilkins Publication.
- Applied Therapeutics:The clinical Use of Drugs. Lloyd Young and Koda-KimbleMA
- Avery’s Drug Treatment, 4th Edn, 1997, Adis InternationalLimited.