Sports and Games
Vels Institute of Science Technology and Advanced Studies has excellent sports facilities for both indoor and outdoor games. VISTAS teams are Champions of various sports at the Inter-University level. Special attention is given to the students with passion towards sports by rendering exclusive sports coaching by expert sportsperson. The Chancellor Mr Ishari K.Ganesh is himself a sports enthusiast who values the importance of physical wellness has initiated a special Scholarship Scheme for the shining sports stars. He is the President of Tamil Nadu Taekwondo Association, Vice President of Taekwondo Federation of India and Vice Chairman of Tamil Nadu Olympic Association. The University’s Football team has topped the table in consecutive years. To support the tireless athlete and players, a 100% concession on Tuition fee and free hostel accommodation are offered.
Student Engagement Activities
VISTAS believe that student engagement activities help in the all-around development of the personality. It contributes to the development and application of intellectual, emotional, behavioural, physical and social capabilities of the students. Many extracurricular activities are organized n the campus to facilitate the learning process and social development of students.
National Service Scheme (NSS)
The Tamil Nadu Government has sanctioned four units to VISTAS and there are 400 NSS volunteers under four NSS officers. NSS students participated in the human chain rally organized by the Govt. of Tamil Nadu on Rajiv Gandhi Renewable Energy Day. The NSS volunteers have also collected the Flag Day fund. The activities carried by our NSS units’ are-
- Service to the Blind and Disability Person
- Run for unity
- Voluntary Blood Donation
- Flood Relief Work
- Celebration of International Day Of Yoga
- Swachh-Bharath Abhiyan- Cleanliness Program
- National Voters Day awareness rally program
- Distribution of Tablets from Government to village people
- Street play drama for Aids awareness program
- Youth Inspire Program
A village by the name KOVILAMBAKKAM has been adopted by our NSS volunteers and steps have been taken to initiate the all-around development of this village. A basic survey has been conducted in this village, to identify the key needs of the village population. Many programmes have been scheduled and planned with the help of local authorities and the assistance of the Municipal Chairman along with self-help groups. These programmes aim to help the village and villagers differently to facilitate literacy, hygiene and other development aspects. Students learn leadership, team and social welfare skills by participating in these programmes.
Youth Red Cross Society
The University has a unit of Youth Red Cross Society affiliated to Indian Red Cross Society and the membership is open to all students. The activities are headed by the RCS in-charge Dr Chandra Chud, Dept. of Economics.
The University has its own Rotaract Club that takes social initiatives like blood donation camps, visit to orphanages and old age homes. The Rotaract Club is committed to fulfilling its motto of “Service to Humanity is Service to God.” Environment protection is another key area where the club contributes. VISTAS has taken several steps to protect the environment and ensure sustainable development.
The term “new member” is used to designate the fresher or new students joining the organization, regardless of the difference. These examples illustrate the range of behaviours:
- The volunteers have effectively campaigned for the Conservation of Biodiversity, Street cleaning, and Temple cleaning on frequent dates to maintain cleanliness in the area.
- The environment protection awareness campaign has also been done by the volunteers of VISTAS through short films and pamphlets.
- Short-films on Cancer and its awareness have been screened in and around Pallavaram.
- The planting of trees plays a prominent role in maintaining the balance of the environment. A minimum of 300 to 500 trees has been planted in the vicinity of VISTAS over the five years.
- The NSS volunteers have made a door to door campaign and made the people go for Rain Water Harvesting.
- Various clubs such as Entrepreneur Club, Literary Club, Rotaract Club, Media Club, Debating Club, Journal Club, Photographic Club, Music Club and Fine Arts Club are functioning to provide opportunities to the students to develop their talents and capabilities in different directions.
- Extra-Curricular activities like Tamil Mandram and Literary club encourage the students to actively participate and conduct in various cultural and literary activities and events.
- The Yoga club of the university has been initiated to conjoin the physical wellness and spiritual well being of the students through yoga activities.
- The Innovation Club consisting of students from Engineering, Life Sciences, and Pharmacy that contribute to the scientific publications and innovations – some of them have also got patents.
Cultural activities are encouraged in the University. A group of expert faculty members in different areas guide and help students to conduct activities such as Music, Dance and Drama. Some of the main activities are:
- Vels Nakshatra – cultural event
- Annual sport meet
- Women’s day celebration
- Vels salute – Alumni meet
Inter-Departmental literary programme is conducted every year. Students actively participate in various Inter-University cultural events. Activities of this kind help the students to mould their personality. A Cultural coordinator is co-ordinating all the cultural activities. Vels Nakshatra National level Cultural events are organized every year. More than 100 institutions from all over India participate in this two-day event.